Thursday, March 5, 2009

The learning process

One of the lessons I taught last week involved classifying imaginary organisms and creating a dichotomous key. I gave the students some freedom to choose how they would classify their organisms. I explained the first step and allowed them to continue on their own. In the middle of the lesson, I noticed that many of the students were doing it incorrectly in a variety of ways. I was able to work with each pair of students to see what was going wrong. By the end of class, they had all succeeded in creating a working key. When I first noticed the errors, I wondered if I had failed to communicate clearly but later I thought that maybe their errors were a necessary part of their learning process. I'm glad they were engaged enough to stick with it through the lesson. This experience has helped me see that its ok for students to not understand something complicated the first time through and maybe it even supports their learning in the long run - assuming they are able to get it right eventually.

3 comments:

  1. Was this done in the same 6th grade class that took notes? WOW! Keying can be so difficult. I love how you went about letting the students struggle. I do think that by letting them learn from their failure it is not really failure at all. You created an atmosphere that was conducive to having a safe learning environment. I agree with your conclusion that their errors were a necessary part of the learning process. Sometimes - I think especially with concepts such as keying - knowing what something is not is at least as valuable as knowing what something is.

    May I "borrow" that lesson from you later this spring? I think I'll try it with my 7th/8th grade classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to create a new organism and then create a classification key for it! It seems like it would be easiest to work backwards -- i.e., decide on a classification footprint for your organism, and then figure out its anatomical and physiological features. It sounds like the students struggled with how to approach the assignment at first but that you were able to guide them through it so that they understood it and were successful in the end. Probably a memorable assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested to take a look at this lesson it sounds great. I think it is important to challenge students. Most students' favorite teachers are the ones they consider to be "hard," but good. I'm sure they felt very successful after they were able to complete the task.

    ReplyDelete